DataFinder Map Services
- What are map services?
- About DataFinder Map services
- Layer-specific map service information
- Map services available from DataFinder
- Using DataFinder map services in ESRI's ArcMap
- Using DataFinder map services in Mapserver
What are map services?
back to top ^
A map service is a set of one or more spatial datasets (e.g. roads, land use, aerial photos) available directly over the Internet. Map services can be used by desktop and internet GIS clients such as ArcMap, MN Mapserver and Google Earth. DataFinder provides ArcGIS services, and OGC-compliant service (WMS, WFS and KML).
About DataFinder Map services
back to top ^
DataFinder has 17 map services primarily organized by same categories as the DataFinder Catalog. While OGC Capabilities files are available for WMS and WFS, these contain only basic information. To understand which layers are in each map service and relate the dataset name to its metadata record, please use the DataFinder Catalog together with this page. If you find a dataset in the catalog, and you would like to know the layer name and which map service(s) include it, please click on the map service symbol, which will open this page with the information about the individual layer.
- Layer Name: GeneralizedLandUseHistorical
- Map Server Name: http://gis2.metc.state.mn.us/ArcGIS/rest
|Map Service Name||Available Services|
|MetroGIS_Administrative_Political_Boundaries||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Base_Maps_Scanned_Maps_Charts||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Biology_Ecology||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Business_Economics||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Demographics||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Elevation||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Environmental_Monitoring_Modeling||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Facilities_Buildings_Structures||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Geology_Geophysics||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Land_Cover||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Planning_Development||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Recreation_Tourism||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Social_Justice_Emergency_Services||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Transportation||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Utilities_Communication||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
|MetroGIS_Water_Resources||WMS WMF ArcGIS KML|
- In ArcMap, click "Add Data" button
- In the Add Data dialog box, select "GIS Servers"
- Select "Add ArcGIS Server"
- Select "Use GIS Services" and click "Next"
- Enter the URL for the server: "http://gis2.metc.state.mn.us/ArcGIS/services" and click "Finish"
- Select ArcGIS on gis2.metc.state.mn.us from GIS Servers. Open the MetroGIS folder and select a theme to add.
Using DataFinder map services in Mapserver
back to top ^
Use the following as a guide to including a DataFinder WMS or WFS map service as a layer in Mapserver map file. More help can be found on the MapServer website.
LAYER # MetroGIS DataFinder WMS County Boundaries
GROUP "County Boundaries"
"wms_title" "County Boundaries"
"wms_latlonboundingbox" "-94.0228373729 44.4668905622 -92.7283510253 45.4160454957"
PROJECTION "init=epsg:26915" END
END # MetroGIS DataFinder WMS COUNTY BOUNDARIES